Saturday, April 10, 2010

Kurosagi



Kurosagi is a Japanese Drama about a boy on his quest for revenge.  He becomes a swindler in order to swindle other swindlers and return the money to those they swindled.  Its that Robin Hood kind of justice.

I absolutely love Yamashita Tomohisa in this role.  I've seen, and loved, him in other roles (especially Akira in Nobuta wo Produce) but this one is my favorite.  I can't really explain why.  Its the silliness seriousness oxymoron that he creates.  Not to mention that he is very, very good looking.  And I really do love him paired with Maki (plays Tsurara), but she's my favorite Japanese actress anyway so there is an element of bais.

If you're looking for romance, this one is far too subtle without any rewards.  The smiles are the highlights, but the relationship is adorable.  The action and humanity of this show is what really shines.

And the ending, lets just say don't expect a big life altering finale.  It gets intense, but when all is said and done, you could easily expect the series to simply continue on to the next episode... nothing changes.  Of course, this does leave lots of room for the imagination.  Its easy to think that these characters will keep going long after the credits finish.

I have to give it a 8/10 because I would watch it again and again.

BUT... be careful.  This series also has a movie continuation and I do not give it the same review.

Kurosagi, the Movie

Did I expect too much?  I watched it right after I finished the drama, but the movie just didn't have the same spirit.  I grew bored, actually fast forwarded through most of the swindle.  I was confused by strange portrayals of time and flashback.  There wasn't enough Tsurara, not enough comedy, not enough fun to balance out the seriousness.  A few scenes were worth it, but I was overall disappointed.

Maybe my review and rating would have been more favorable if I hadn't just finished the drama.

4/10 I just can't justify going any higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment